Social Media Health Network

Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care

Share this:

Posted by Erin Elizabeth (@er1nel1zabeth) · Mon, Aug 4 at 8:27am CST

Erin Elizabeth - Patient/Caregiver Scholarship 2014

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis two plus years ago. After a period of weeks of comprehending my road ahead, I began to search for ways to be more productive. For me, a cure will mean a liver transplant someday. The transplant statistics are scary, with 18 people dying every day due to the shortage of donor organs. In that fear lies a great opportunity for me to be as productive as I can be!

I became a transplant advocate group member with the LifeLink foundation, volunteering time at events to raise awareness. While my stamina for those events isn't always on-point, and given that their events are few and far between in my area, I decided to take to social media via a Twitter account (@Erin Elizabeth) which I use one hundred percent for raising Donate Life/Organ Donation awareness.

The impacts of social media can be boundless, I am excited with each "favorite" or "retweet" I get. Most recently, one of my posts was favorited and retweeted by one of the Real Housewives of NY who has over 115,000 followers! I was so happy for the possibilities that that one tweet could bring! After her retweet, I checked my bitlink statistics to see that 10 people had clicked the link! http://bit.ly/gift_life

I would love to learn how to be more effective using social media as I am passionately working to make a positive impact today for the 120,000+ people waiting on their life-saving gift. I would cherish and use what I learn to help serve the transplant community. If someday, my lottery numbers come in, I want to know I helped the greater community while I lived and waited for my gift of life.

Questions about the contest or the voting process? Click here.

SM Scholarship 2014

liverwife likes this

Have something to say? Please login or register to respond.