Social Media Health Network

A Service of the Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media

Share this:

Started by Lee Aase (@leeaase) · Thu, Mar 27 at 7:25pm CDT

GSM 150: Converting Slidecasts to Videos

Slidecast on SMHNWhen Slideshare announced in February that Slidecasts are being discontinued, this created a problem for those of us who have used the feature to add an audio track to our presentation decks.

In our online social media curriculum we had devoted a course, GSM 121: Advanced Applications of Slideshare, to guiding users through the process of creating a Slidecast. And in our page on Joining the Network, we had embedded a slidecast in which Dr. Farris Timimi and I narrated a slide deck describing membership options and benefits. As the Slideshare announcement indicates, you can watch that slidecast until April 30, 2014. Then it will be converted to a static presentation with no audio track.

The point of this module isn't to complain about the Slideshare decision (although I would have preferred that it not happen), but to help those who may have created slidecasts to efficiently replace them with an alternative. And who knows? Maybe this will even lead to better results.

I often call Slideshare, "YouTube for PowerPoints." This module will take you through the process of converting a slidecast to a YouTube video. I'm delivering the content using a static Slideshare presentation, so that I can include lots of screen shots, but instead of an audio track I will need to include more text. Still, it's probably preferable to a long post that involves lots of scrolling.

For this example, I'm using the process of converting our Social Media Health Network membership options slidecast. Here it is:

Of course, you don't need to have an existing slidecast to develop a video like this. You can do all of the same steps, but start by recording your audio using your smart phone as demonstrated in the first few slides of this deck.

What do you think? Does this seem clear? What other ideas do you have for delivering narrated slide content?

Slidecasts slideshare Youtube

Cari Lambrecht likes this

Have something to say? Please login or register to respond.