Social Media Health Network

Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care

Share this:

Posted by Jenny Redmond (@jennyredmond) · Mon, Aug 4 at 8:30am CST

Jenny Redmond - Patient/Caregiver Scholarship 2014

I was a 39 year old single mother when I was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer in August 2012. I had a bilateral mastectomy, chemotherapy, radiation, and several surgeries. I had been a fourth grade teacher for 17 years but I had to take a long term medical leave during my treatments.

Thanks to my family, friends, coworkers, and others in the community my bills were always paid and there was always food on our table. During my treatments I began painting. This began as something to keep me busy but turned into much more. It became my therapy. Little did I know at the time, it would also be a way to help ease the financial burden of medical bills and other expenses. I never thought anyone would be interested in buying my work. But, after I began to slowly share some of my art, friends started showing an interest. I was asked to donate a piece of my work to a local art auction scholarship fundraiser and to participate in an Artists’ Studio Open House. Currently, I am still selling my work mostly through social media.

Wanting to give back to the community that had helped me so much I chose to pay it forward in the form of art therapy classes. I was comfortable speaking to and teaching groups of people and now I had this passion for art. I approached the Tammy Walker Cancer Center where I had received my treatments and told them my idea. I wanted to make a connection with the cancer center and the art community. I wanted to give art classes to current patients, survivors, caregivers, and family members of patients and survivors.

I started off giving classes to the support groups already in place at the center. They were very successful. After my first class I cried tears of joy because of some of the events and discussions that occurred in that first class. I knew I must be doing something right. I am now volunteering as the Art Therapy Director of the Tammy walker Cancer Center.

I have been in contact with several other artists about giving a presentation or workshop and sharing their stories if they have been personally affected by cancer. I will also continue to give classes. I would love to share my story at the conference not just about how I survived cancer but also about finding the silver lining in a crisis and ultimately rediscovering who I really was and finding peace through it all. I hope to hear other inspiring stories and how others have overcome. I hope that my story may inspire and bring hope to others.

You can read more about my journey and see my art at the following links:
http://www.facebook.com/silverliningsart
http://www.facebook.com/jennylynnredmond
http://www.instagram.com/silverliningsart
http://www.pinterest.com/slvrlnings

Questions about the contest or the voting process? Click here.

SM Scholarship 2014

T. Ray Shrum, Jess, Katy Vinson and 54 others like this

Have something to say? Please login or register to respond.

Maegan Trafton (@maegantrafton) · Mon, Aug 4 at 9:40am CST · #

Jenny, you inspired me to become a great teacher! Now your story inspires me to overcome life challenges!

Cshelton, LindaE, JenN-Moo like this

sherry (@sherdev) · Mon, Aug 4 at 10:06am CST · #

Jenny is a true inspiration to everyone around her! She has taken the battle with cancer to a higher level and found a way to not only heal herself spiritually but to help others.

lmarshall, LindaE, JenN-Moo like this

lfavre (@lfavre) · Mon, Aug 4 at 10:15am CST · #

Congratulations Jenny! I hope you win the scholarship. You will be an inspiration to all those you can reach.

LindaE, JenN-Moo, lfavre like this

Rebecca Foster (@rebeccaf) · Mon, Aug 4 at 11:42am CST · #

No matter what challenges someone may be going through, they can always look to you for inspiration. Here's to continued opportunities to inspire others through what life brings them.

LindaE likes this

Dave Shrum (@daveshrum) · Mon, Aug 4 at 2:54pm CST · #

If you knew Jenny you'd know she more than deserves this scholarship. She has been such a God send for my wife. God bless, Jenny

LindaE and JenN-Moo like this

JenN-Moo (@moomie) · Mon, Aug 4 at 5:36pm CST · #

Jenny has been an amazing inspiration.

LindaE and The James like this

Linda Hughes (@lindahughes) · Mon, Aug 4 at 6:38pm CST · #

I think that is wonderful of you that you teach & help others face their challenges head on with understanding & love, very inspiring!
**Registered here just so I could vote for you, but think this site should make voting for others easier.

LindaE likes this

MBartow (@mbart) · Mon, Aug 4 at 6:38pm CST · #

Jenny so deserves to win this scholarship because she has faced incredible challenges in the past few years and has triumphed with grace & dignity!

LindaE and MBartow like this

Dixie (@jndn92) · Mon, Aug 4 at 8:26pm CST · #

Jenny is an inspiration to all not only in how she has handled this journey but also in how she puts her whole heart into her art and helping others express themselves through art.

Edited: 08/04/2014 @ 8:27pm

LindaE likes this

Gregory Garlett (@gregorygarlett) · Mon, Aug 4 at 9:00pm CST · #

Jenny is a true artist and inspiration, creating beauty during a time of overwhelming adversity.

LindaE likes this

LindaE (@eveready) · Mon, Aug 4 at 10:47pm CST · #

You art packs a powerful and loving message of hope and life. You are very deserving of this scholarship!

BettyJaneD (@bettyjaned) · Tue, Aug 5 at 3:49pm CST · #

What a struggle that year was-but Jenny's art brought peace & comfort to her and JOY to many others. Truly a silver lining.

Rita N and BettyJaneD like this

Tracey Palen (@farmmom) · Tue, Aug 5 at 9:46pm CST · #

I proudly display one of Jenny's paintings in my office. It warms my heart every time I look at it!

Heather Hare likes this

darla (@darlah) · Tue, Aug 5 at 9:58pm CST · #

Yay for art therapy and yay for silver linings!

lmarshall likes this

Pat Sh (@patsh) · Tue, Aug 5 at 10:06pm CST · #

Jen is kind and caring. She has been encouraging and supportive during my cancer treatments. She is a wonderful friend. Thanks Jen!!!

Edited: 08/05/2014 @ 10:06pm

Kathleen Robbins (@kathleenrobbins) · Tue, Aug 5 at 10:43pm CST · #

Jenny, you are the sunshine that produces a beautiful rainbow after the storm with your attitude and beautiful paintings! I enjoy the one I purchased every day as it brings color into my life and surroundings!!!

lmarshall likes this

Michelle Meade (@michellebijou21) · Wed, Aug 6 at 1:03pm CST · #

Love to watch you grow glow and GO!

Michelle Meade likes this

Elma (@elma58) · Wed, Aug 6 at 1:05pm CST · #

jenny,
You are so strong..

lahall (@lahall) · Wed, Aug 6 at 2:59pm CST · #

I'm so glad that you have found this passion!

Rena Holloway (@renaholloway) · Wed, Aug 6 at 3:01pm CST · #

So proud of all you are doing Jenny!

Sheryl (@sherylh) · Wed, Aug 6 at 3:01pm CST · #

Jenny your story is an inspiration to many people and it is a joy to hear the passion you have as you help others.

Shanel (@shanel) · Thu, Aug 7 at 3:10pm CST · #

Love your paintings, Jenny...you are very talented and been through so much. Good luck, hope you win this!!