Social Media Health Network

Bringing the Social Media Revolution to Health Care

Share this:

Posted by Marcus Move (@marcusmccleery) · Tue, Aug 5 at 3:28pm CST

Marcus Move - Patient/Caregiver Scholarship 2014

I am a patient and volunteer with the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation (MHIF).

Several years ago I was experiencing a wide variety of strange symptoms. My general doctor was quite uncertain to the cause. He even suggested a psych. evaluation. As a last resort he put me on a 30 day heart rate monitor. I was diagnosed with a-fib within the month. I had a very rapid heart rate and had difficulty moving consistently without being out of breath, sweating and getting light headed. I was referred to MHI for an EP ablation.

The months leading up to the surgery got progressively worse. After the first ablation I was able to stay out of constant a-fib for some time due to the amiodarone giving us a false positive. Several months later the a-fib was back! Already overweight, I began to rapidly gain weight due to depression and a sedentary lifestyle. I was so sick from other illnesses that my second surgery was put off for many months. Eventually the second surgery happened and I was on a 6 month wait to see if it had worked. I had been at this for almost 3 years! My weight was now nearly 400 pounds! I was so sad that I asked for a divorce from my wife. I didn’t want her to have to live with a “broken man” for the rest of her life. Depression is so easy to slip into when hope seems lost!

The second surgery worked! My cardiologist told me to go live my life with no restrictions! “Are you telling me to loose weight”, I asked. “No, just move your body 15 minutes a day” he said. So, with that small manageable request I began to move! I changed to a heart healthy diet and lost 183 pounds. I did my first triathlon! I never thought that I could regain and surpass the life I wanted to live!

For almost 5 years now I have done what I can to help others adopt a healthier mind, body and spirit. I continue to lead my life by example and encourage, motivate and inspire others to find their “Power” to do the same!

To honor the words of my cardiologist my website is: move15minutesaday.com or move-15.com.

I live 100 miles from Mpls. so, social media has been a great “connector” to patients, staff and anyone far away to hear my message of Hope for a better “ME”! I am Marcus Move on FB. I created Marcus Move for everyone! I will turn no one away that is looking for advice, inspiration, education, motivation and most of all Hope! I encourage people to help by sharing just those things so we all can learn and grow together! I write blogs for MHIF as well as my website and have done several twitter challenges for MHIF. Social media is a huge conductor for my message of tapping into your own “Personal Power”!

I would love to participate in your conference to share what I have learned so far!
“We only get one body in this life so, let’s treat it right, feed it well and USE it”!!! – Marcus McCleery

Questions about the contest or the voting process? Click here.

SM Scholarship 2014

Heather E and zmz like this

Have something to say? Please login or register to respond.

cherry3 (@cherry3) · Wed, Aug 13 at 8:08am CST · #

thanks for making us know some of the best applications app in town id like to be educate more in using this trending gadgets being used in a sample videos may be a good idea if its going to be showed. Its an opportunities not to be missed! Thanks! safe social media provider

Donegal1 likes this

Marcus Move (@marcusmccleery) · Fri, Aug 15 at 10:31am CST · #

Marcus is my husband. He has and continues to change lives of people around him. He is such a positive motivator and inspiring to all. His desire to make the world a better place with "wellness" is incredible! I am so proud of him and the decisions he continues to make to Lead By Example!

Donegal1 (@donegal1) · Fri, Aug 15 at 5:36pm CST · #

I admire Marcus's passion for helping people begin the journey to wellness!! His always positive message style makes a person believe in their potential to succeed.

Heather E (@hjelwood) · Fri, Aug 15 at 9:42pm CST · #

I "found" Marcus through a post he made on our local fitness center Facebook page. I emailed him, connected via his Facebook account, and have been taking his bootcamp classes ever since. He is the most inspiring and positive trainer I could ever ask to workout with. "Life changing" is how I would describe my connecting with Marcus through social media. He always leads by example and uses his experiences to move others to embrace positive change.

AmandaMc (@amandamc) · Tue, Aug 19 at 9:14pm CST · #

Marcus is such an inspiration to our entire community! Recently I had the opportunity to have him coach me through a 4 mile run. Every single person we passed, whether he knew them personally or not, he would cheer on for being out there moving!!! Marcus does not just push exercise, but rather living a healthy long lifestyle. He has transformed many people's lives by helping them shed hundreds of pounds! Marcus as everyone's biggest fan and inspirational motivator!