As a 300-level course, BLOG 301 is a case study involving application of blogging technology to meet a specific need. This example comes from our experience in creating the Social Media Health Network site, beginning with roots in WordPress and Buddypress, and how the site has evolved through collaboration with CareHubs.
Press the play button on the Slidecast below for audio narration of the presentation. You may wish to click the icon in the lower right of the player to expand to full screen.
Posted by Lee Aase
- Visit MayoClinic.org to see the source of the global navigation we have brought into the Network site.
- See the event Calendar and browse upcoming opportunities
- Explore the Course Catalog
- Check out the Health Care Social Media List, a free resource for site visitors as well as guests and members, and also the Community group, for members only.
- Invite others to join, whether as guests or members.
- Edit your profile, and connect your Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn profiles to your member account so you can log in to the Network site with one click.
- Compare the experience of the site as a visitor vs. as a member. You may find it easier to open a different browser (e.g. Chrome or Firefox) in addition to your customary Web browser, and have one browser logged in to the network while the other remains at guest access.
- Think about use cases for a customized social networking platform like this in your work, whether it may be for employee communications, private support groups or some other need you may have.
- Share any thoughts you have about improving the user experience, or new features we should consider for future enhancement to the site, in the comments below.